Welcome to my site.
TL; DR: Tom Hu = 0.5 Research + 0.2 Video games + 0.2 Food hunting and traveling + 0.05 Music + 0.05 Misc
I am a second-year graduate student in interdepartmental group of biostatistics jointly under Department of Statistics and School of Public Health at UC Berkeley. I recently received my B.A. with honor in Statistics and Applied Mathematics also from Berkeley. I minored in computer science and Japanese. I am trilingual — fluent in Chinese and English, casual in Japanese.
I am broadly interested in data-based methods as well as model-based methods. My long-term goal is to bridge the gap between the two. Some specific research interest of mine includes deep learning, dynamical system, machine learning and robust optimization (alphabetical order).
Currently, I am working on 1). inconsistency between large-scale pharmacogenomics datasets and 2). multi-task learning 3). collaborative filtering and recommendation system with Professor Haiyan Huang. I am also working on some learning theory problems with Professor Yi Ma. One other project I have with Professor Alan Hubbard, Mark van der Laan and Justin Remais is to apply targeted learning on large epidemiology survey problems. My “unofficial advisor” is Darren Lin. Some other undergoing projects span hybrid system, optimization, and reinforcement learning on playing Mahjong. Feel free to reach out to me if you are interested in any of them and maybe we can forge collaborations.
My academic model (something like a role model in an academic space) is this guy.
All my class notes and research notes can be found under “resources” tab. If you find any of them useful, please consider helping a nerd struggling in poverty complete his book wishlist.
My non-academic interest includes music, video games, traveling, writing novels and checking out great restaurants, below are some details regarding these:
- My favorite music genres are folk and indie. My favorite artists are Bob Dylan and Iron & Wine. I consider Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes as my life theme (you can tell from this website!) I am also a big fan of Japanese indie singer Rurutia.
- My favorite video game company is Nintendo; I own every Nintendo game console since N64. I am also a big fan of Bethesda and BioWare, as Fallout 4 is the only Fallout game that I have not played for more than 50 hours.
- I have been to a lot of countries — most East/Southeast Asian, European, North American and Oceanian countries. I am a big fan of Chinese, Japanese and Scandinavian cultures. I was born and raised in China until 16. I have visited Japan more than five times and each time I stayed in a different region (Kanto, Kansai, Kyushu, Hokkaido and North, Shikoku). I have also stayed in Denmark for a whole summer break back in 2011.
- My first novel was published on a magazine back when I was a sixth grader in primary school, it was a short mysterious novel — the victim was my math teacher and the murderer was my PE teacher because I did not like them. People call me a moving library of mysterious novels because I own a whole bookshelf of mysterious novels back in China. Most of my novels are classified as mystery, though sometimes I write romantic and political novels too.
- I love all kinds of foods, as far as they are delicious. However I do have favorites: I like Chinese, Japanese and American restaurants the best and French restaurants the least. I have tried out most Chinese and Japanese places of the San Gabriel Valley area and the bay area. As for other genres, I take the Michelin Guide as the Bible because I do not have that much stomach and I really trust them 🙂 I usually go out for Michelin investigations with my friends such as Andy, Brad, Ben and Hunter. Let me know if you want to join us.
The password to the novel page is my favorite boba flavor in English, which whoever interested should definitely know.